The layout of the church structure is shown in the plan below. In this
photo, the Session House is on the left front with the original section
of the church immediately behind it. The main section (the 1884 extension)
of the church goes from left to right in the back, with the entrance
porch on the far right.
This plan shows the layout of the present church and the
various components of this structure. The original east-west section
was built in 1850 and divided by a partition into a kirk (church) at
the east end and a schoolroom on the west end. A Session House (the
Session is the elders' court of the church) was added in 1877 and the
main north-south section was added in 1884.
Bowenfels grew up along the Bathurst Road (now the Old Bathurst Road)
near the junction of a road to Mudgee (this is now Mudgee Street, which
contines into the Great Western Highway that heads towards Lithgow).
(The modern highway now bypasses this site on a sweeping curve.) The
church faces Mudgee Street, which is to the east of the building.